Khao Lak Mangrove ExplorersExclusive Self-Paddle Kayaking Tour
• Pick up from your hotel with our local style taxi and head to our pier in a small local fishing village a short drive south of the Khao Lak hotels.
• Leave on our comfortable long-tail boat and cruise through the beautiful mangrove scenery.
• Arrive at our floating base camp begin the kayaking tour deep into the natural mangrove maze. Often when kayaking we come across animals such as monkeys, snakes, kingfishers and even otters in the trees.
• Rest and relax back at our floating base camp with some light refreshments.
• Swim and cool off in the beautiful hidden lagoon before heading back to the pier where the taxi will be waiting to transport you back to your hotel in Khao Lak
Child: This trip is not recommended for young children
Pick Up Time: 07:30-10:00 (Depending on the tides)
Tour Duration: Average 4-6 hours
Group Size: 2-6 people (larger groups on request)
• Kayaking Guide
Things to Bring
• Sun Hats & Sunglasses
• Mosquito Spray
• Light weight, quick dry clothes that you can swim in.
We did this trip with our teenage son. It was very peaceful and enjoyed the kayaking into the mangroves. The location is beautiful and did not see anyone else on the day. We saw a snake and monkeys which were just off in the distance but could see and hear them. The swim in the lagoon at the end of the day was beautiful and a great way to cool down and finish off a lovely day. Make sure you use mosquito repellent (I did not get bitten) and sunscreen on the tops of your feet. Guides where very friendly and helpful and offered to tow my kayak when I was getting tired but I toughed it out. No pressure to keep up just go at your own pace.
- Exclusive Tour, Only Available Here!
- Un-rushed Guided Kayaking Tour
- Natural Wildlife Safari
Unknown to many, Khao Lak is home to a beautiful and almost undiscovered mangrove eco-system with rivers, jungles and forests. Khao Lak’s mangroves cover an area of over 70 square kilometres, and for the first time it is now possible to experience this breath taking and peaceful environment. In these totally natural surrounding you will find only tranquillity and nature at it’s best.
Discovery Travel is the first and only company to operate regular kayaking tours in the Khao Lak mangroves. Our eco-friendly kayaking tours are the first and only trips of their kind here in Khao Lak.
Join us as we take you with our long-tail boat to visit secluded location in the mangroves to kayak deep into the trees and experience this amazing eco-system close up. We offer you the chance to come explore and experience with us this stunning environment in locations never seen before by tourists.
Amazing Mangrove Kayaking Tour
Leaving on our long-tail boat from a small fishing village, we take you on a cruise through previously unvisited and unseen mangrove rivers. After some exploration and photographic opportunities, we will arrive at our floating base camp hidden deep inside the mangroves.
Here we switch the long-tail boat for kayaks and head deeper still into the mangroves. Our guide will lead the way as we kayak further and further into the small streams and rivers that twist and turn through the mangrove trees.
After some time kayaking through the trees, we head back to the floating base camp for some light refreshments. Once we have our energy back our captain will take us for another scenic boat ride to a beautiful hidden lagoon where we can swim and cool off before heading back to the pier.
Mangroves in Thailand
There are 74 different species of mangrove in Thailand. Mangrove forests are an important eco-system providing food and shelter to many. Many species of mangrove tree have a tangled mass of roots that lift the main trunk out of the water. This tangle of roots is the perfect place for fish to come in to breed and for smaller fish to take shelter. Many of the fish that breed in the mangroves are very important to Thailand’s fishing industry. Many of the local people living in the fishing villages close to Khao Lak depend on the mangroves for both food and income.
Many other animals also rely on the mangroves for food and shelter. Monkeys, birds, otters, snakes and monitor lizards are often seen hiding in the Khao Lak mangroves. Mangroves also help to filter the sediment out of the water that is washed down by the inland rivers, therefore cleaning the water and allowing the light to penetrate down, which is vital for healthy coral reefs.
The mangrove forests also play a massive role in protecting the coastline of Khao Lak from erosion. Mangrove trees can dissipate up to about 70% of the sea’s energy. When the tsunami hit Khao Lak in 2004 many of the small villages were protected by the mangrove forests and therefore sustained less damage than the Khao Lak beach areas such as Nang Thong Beach and Bang Niang Beach.
In recent years there has been an increase in mangrove tours and kayaking tours available in Thailand. One of the most common areas for mangrove kayaking tours is in Phang Nga Bay. Phang Nga Bay has one of the biggest native mangrove forests in Thailand. Although Khao Lak has a much smaller mangrove forest, the mangroves in Khao Lak are un-touched by tourists and very healthy. A kayak tour is the perfect way to experience the mangroves of Thailand as there is no engine noise to scare away the wildlife.
Here at Discovery Travel we are very proud of our mangrove kayaking tours. In Khao Lak we are the first and only company to operate kayaking tours regularly and safely into the mangroves in this area. This is an area where expert local knowledge is key so safe tour operations.
Check out the Global Mangrove Alliance to find out more about the importance of the mangrove ecosystems
How do I book?
Booking a tour in Khao Lak is easy. Just follow these simple steps;
1. Fill in the booking form above.
2. We will then check availability and get back to you ASAP. If the date you chose is not available, we will offer you some alternative dates. We will also confirm the total cost and send you information on how to pay.
3. Follow the link we send you to make your payment. We have found that Wise is the easiest, most reliable and cheapest method of making international payments into Thailand.
4. Once we have received your payment we will send you and e-ticket as confirmation of your booking. All the details you will need will be printed on the ticket, but if you have any questions feel free to ask.
What animals can I see?
We often see lots of animals while kayaking. Although of course nothing is guaranteed. Some of the most common are;
- Crab eating macaques (monkeys!)
- Mud crabs
- Mangrove pit vipers
- Mangrove snakes
- Fishing eagles
- Monitor lizards
On rare occasions we have even seen turtles, small sharks and even dolphins in this area!
Do I have to paddle myself?
This is a self kayaking tour, so we encourage you to paddle yourself. By kayaking yourself, you are in control and you set the pace.
However, for those who aree unable to paddle themeselves, we do have 1 large boat which our crew can paddle for you on request. There is no extra charge for this, but if you have enjoyed the trip you may wish to give your new freind a small tip.
How do I pay?
Making international payments can be tricky and expensive. This is why we recommend using Wise. The whole process takes just a few minutes. Simply follow these easy steps;
1. Follow the link we send you to create an account, or log in if you already have one.
2. Select “Send Money”.
3. Select “International” and choose the relivent currencies. (Our tours are priced in THB). All the relivent fees and exchange rates are automatically shown for you. Then click “Continue”
4. On the “Who are you sending Money to?” page, select “Buisness/Charity” and type in our email address. Our information is then filled in for you automatically. If you have any difficulty or require extra information just let us know.
5. Next you will need to fill in your account information.
6. The final step is to approve the payment.
More help can be found HERE.
Can this trip be made private?
YES! Each trip can be made private and personal for you. Simply click the “Private Tour” option when making your booking, and we will get back to you with a quote.
What if I need to cancel or change my booking?
Please refer to our Terms & Conditions for our full cancelation policy.
You May Also Like…
Khao Lak Local Reef Snorkeling
Khao Lak snorkeling is a something that can’t be missed. Perfect for families and beginners, this trip is great way to avoid the crowds.
In the beginning – bringing kayaking to Khao Lak
The story of how we became the world famous Khao Lak Mangrove Explorers.