Mangrove Fishing Adventure
• Leave from your hotel in out local style “songteaw” taxi and take a short drive to our pier in a small local fishing village.
• Head out into the mangrove rivers on our comfortable long-tail boat and spend a few hours fishing surrounded by beautiful scenery.
• Stop for a delicious Thai style lunch.
• Join in as our crew search for crabs and/or shellfish (depending on tidal conditions).
• Return to the pier where the taxi will be waiting for your ride back to your hotel in Khao Lak.
• Once you return to your hotel, be sure to show your catch to the chef. Most hotels and restaurants will be more than happy to prepare a delicious meal for you using what you have caught.
Adult: 3,200 THB
Child: 1,900 THB (4-12 years)
Pick Up Time: 07:30-10:00 (Depending on the tides)
Tour Duration: Average 4-6 hours
Group Size: 2-6 people (larger groups on request)
*Program changes depending on sea & weather conditions.
• Round-Trip Transfers
• Fishing Equipment
• National Park Fees
Things to Bring
• Sun Hats & Sunglasses
• Mosquito Spray
• Beach-wear or light weight, quick dry clothes
• Flexible Itinerary
• Insight Into Local Lives
• Calm & Sheltered Fishing Spots
The Khao Lak mangroves provide a sheltered nursery for all kinds of marine life. Local people have been living and surviving in the mangroves here for many generations. Many of the local people here are descended from the sea gypsies who once roamed all-over South-East Asia and living from the sea. So, they know the best spots!
This fishing tour is a great trip for beginners or those travelling with less committed fishermen. We have made our trip as flexible as possible to suit everyone. The calmness and shelter provided by the Khao Lak mangroves mean that even those who are not keen fishermen can sunbathe and enjoy the natural scenery in comfort.
Spend a day with the people who have grown up fishing in the mangroves and rely on this amazing eco-system for both food and income.
Sheltered mangrove fishing spots
We take our long-tail boat out from our small pier in a local fishing village, and take you to some of the best fishing locations in the mangroves. Here we can spend a few hours fishing and relaxing amongst beautiful surroundings.
Once we fancy a break our captain and crew will prepare a delicious local style fisherman’s lunch for everyone to enjoy together. Our captain will then demonstrate how local people gather different foods in the mangroves depending on the tides. He will show you how to use traditional techniques to hunt crabs and shellfish.
This tour is all about relaxing and having a good time. It can be personalized and tailored to suit everyone and anyone.
Upon returning to your hotel in Khao Lak, be sure to show your catch the the hotel chef. Most Khao Lak hotels and the best restaurants in Khao Lak will be only to happy to prepare a delicious seafood dinner for you.
Mangrove Fishing In Thailand
The Khao Lak mangroves are home to a huge range of fish. Although if you are expecting enormous tunas and barracudas, you might be will need to head futher out to sea.
Many of the fish you find on the menu in Khao Lak restaurants are raised in the Khao Lak mangroves. Local people will catch fish such as red snappers and groupers in the shelter of the mangroves and keep them in pens so they can continue to grow until they are needed. Once the fish grow big enough, they are sold to the Khao Lak restaurants, the hotels in Khao Lak and even at the Khao Lak night market.
The weather in Khao Lak can get very stormy in the monsoon season. The mangrove forests south of Khao Lak provide shelter from the storms and rough seas, meaning that the local fishermen are able to find things to do even when it rains. It also means that the Khao Lak restaurants and markets in Khao Lak are provided with fresh seafood all year round.
There is also a whole range of crabs and shellfish that call the mangroves their home. Over the years the local people have developed skills and techniques that can be used to catch a whole variety of sea-creatures here in the mangroves. These days many of the local villagers have taken jobs in many of the Khao Lak hotels and resorts. But they still return to the mangroves in the low season and on days off to find fresh seafood or supplement their income.
How do I book?
Booking a tour in Khao Lak is easy. Just follow these simple steps;
1. Choose the tour you want to book from the list and fill in the booking form.
2. We will then check availability and get back to you ASAP. If the date you chose is not available, we will offer you some alternative dates. We will also confirm the total cost and send you information on how to pay.
3. Follow the link we send you to make your payment. We have found that Wise is the easiest, most reliable and cheapest method of making international payments into Thailand.
4. Once we have received your payment we will send you and e-ticket as confirmation of your booking. All the details you will need will be printed on the ticket, but if you have any questions feel free to ask.
How do I pay?
Making international payments can be tricky and expensive. This is why we recommend using Wise. Unlike PayPal, Wise offers international transfers using the current exchange rates, with no additional mark-ups or hidden fees. The whole process takes just a few minutes. Simply follow these easy steps;
1. Click Here or follow the link we send you to create an account, or log in if you already have one.
2. Select “Send Money”.
3. Select “International” and choose the relivent currencies. (Our tours are priced in THB). All the relivent fees and exchange rates are automatically shown for you. Then click “Continue”
4. On the “Who are you sending Money to?” page, select “Buisness/Charity” and type in our email address. Our information is then filled in for you automatically. If you have any difficulty or require extra information just let us know.
5. Next you will need to fill in your account information.
6. The final step is to approve the payment.
More help can be found HERE.
Can all trips be made private?
YES! Each trip can be made private and personal for you. Simple click the “Private Tour” option when making your booking, and we will get back to you with a quote.
What if I need to cancel or change my booking?
Please refer to our Terms & Conditions for our full cancelation policy.
You May Also Like…
Local Reef Snorkeling
Explore the underwater world on Khao Lak’s closest coral reefs. No trip to Khao Lak is complete without a snorkeling tour.
Khao Lak Seafood Buffet – our search for food
Through the COVID-19 lockdowns, local people turned to the mangroves for food. We joined them to test our skills at finding seafood.