Local Temples & Traditional Market Town
• After we pick you up from your hotel in Khao Lak hotel it is just a short drive to the first temple.
• Our guide will introduce you to some of the key features of Khuek Khak Temple, not far from Bang Niang Beach.
• Stop for a photo for a photo opportunity as the “Big Buddha on the hill”, and enjoy one of the many hidden viewpoints Khao Lak has in abundance.
• Head off the main road to enjoy a delicious Thai lunch with an amazing panoramic view.
• Stop at the Baan Nam Khem Tsunami Museum.
• Drive to the old town and take a look around the Golden Temple in Takua Pa.
• Head deeper into town to see the ancient Chinese style shrine.
• Experience some new and exciting tastes, smells and sights as our guide shows you around the traditional street market with its section of traditional local foods and crafts.
Adult: 3,100 THB
Child: 1,500 THB (4-12 years)
Pick Up Time: 11:00-11:30
Tour Duration: Average 6-7 hours
Group Size: 2-8 people (larger groups on request)
** PLEASE BE AWARE ** When visiting temples in Thailand shoulders and knees must be covered. This applies to both men and women. Respectable T-shirts and knee length shorts are fine.
• Round-Trip Transfers
• Entrance Fees
Things to Bring
• Sun Hats & Sunglasses
• Mosquito Spray
• Respectable Clothing
• Personal Spending Money
• Late Start
• Insight Into Local Traditions and Culture
• Short Traveling Times
Embark on a spiritual journey with Discovery Travel’s exclusive temple tour, immersing yourself in the rich tapestry of Thai culture and history. Our carefully crafted itinerary ensures a meaningful exploration of the significance of Buddhism in the local context.
Commencing at Khuek Khak Temple, a modern marvel at the heart of Khao Lak, you’ll witness the community’s spiritual center. Our licensed local guides will provide insights into the temple’s unique features and the role it plays in the local community.
Continue your odyssey to the iconic Big Buddha, situated just outside Khao Lak. This serene location offers a tranquil environment for reflection and appreciation of Buddhist teachings. Following this, a scenic drive takes you to the Andaman Viewpoint, where a delectable lunch awaits, accompanied by breathtaking panoramic views of the countryside and sea.
The local temple and market are at the heart of Thai culture.
The journey progresses to the harbor town of Baan Nam Khem, home to the Tsunami Museum—a poignant memorial dedicated to those affected by the 2004 tsunami. Gain a deeper understanding of the region’s resilience and the museum’s significance in preserving collective memory.
The final leg of your expedition brings you to Takuapa Old Town, a treasure trove of cultural gems. Marvel at the beauty of the Golden Temple, adorned with intricate depictions of Buddha’s story, creating an ambiance that reflects heaven on earth. Delve further into the town’s core to explore an ancient Chinese shrine and traverse the Takua Pa Old Town Sunday market. This traditional market showcases local delicacies and produce, offering a genuine experience away from the tourist crowds.
Our journey is designed not just as a tour but as an immersive cultural experience, ensuring you leave with a profound appreciation for the intertwined history, spirituality, and resilience of the Khao Lak region.
Book your temple tour with Discovery Travel for an unforgettable exploration of Khao Lak’s cultural tapestry.
Takua Pa Old Town
Takua Pa Old Town was once a bustling hub of the Thai economy. The area was originally called Takola and dates back to the Sukhothai Period, around the 13th century when Takua Pa was a vital link in a major trading route. It was said that Takua Pa had the finest harbor on the West coast of Thailand, then know as Siam to outsiders. The area was rich abundant in valuable herbs and spices and attracted traders from all over the world. The town was later re-named Takua Pa when it was discovered that the area had rich tin and lead ore reserves. “Takua” is the Thai word for lead. Tin and lead mining industry boomed, and along with increased demand for rubber and palm oil plantations, brought wealth into the area well into the 20th century.
The Takuapa Old Town Sunday market is an insight into life in the ancient town well before the tourism industry came to the area. When the town was at its peak, Khao Lak village was just a small plantation settlement. A walk around Takua Pa Old Town is light a journey back in town. Many of the people still living in the town were born and raised there. Although in many cases their children and grand children have moved away to take up a job a Khao Lak resort or elsewhere in Thailand, those who remain often still live a semi-traditional lifestyle.
Despite the towns interesting history, Takua Pa Old Town is often missed of the typical Khao Lak tourist map. Purely because is not on the main road to Phuket Airport. Takua Pa Old Town is however located on the road from Khao Lak to Khao Sok Natioanl Park.
While staying in Khao Lak, a tour of the Takua Pa Old Town is a must. The town’s rich history and friendly locals make this tour a trip to remember. Takua Pa also has several temples that have just as much history as the town. Temple tours are among the most popular days out for tourists staying in Khao Lak. And an afternoon stroll through the Old Town Sunday market is the perfect end to every temple tour.
What do I need to wear?
When visiting temples in Thailand, it is important to remember that there is a dress coode. At most local temples, it is usually acceptable to wear respecful clothing that covers knees and shoulders. This means that knee length, or three-quarter length shorts are fine. T-shirts or polo shirts are also usually ok to wear. Provided they are not low cut to show cleavage, cropped to show belly buttons or printed with logos or slogans that could be seen as dis-respectul or un-polite.
The dress code is much more strict and widely enforced in big temples. When visiting big temples in Bangkok for example, it is best to wear plain t-shirts and long, light weight trousers.
With regards to footwear, it is usually acceptable to wear flip-flops or sandles. In many areas of the temple, you may be required to go barefoot. So it is best to wear shoes that you can slip on and off easily. Just remember never to raise your feet, and never point your feet at anything or anyone.
Can all trips be made private?
YES! Each trip can be made private and personal for you. Simple click the “Private Tour” option when making your booking, and we will get back to you with a quote.
How do I book?
Booking a tour in Khao Lak is easy. Just follow these simple steps;
1. Choose the tour you want to book from the list and fill in the booking form.
2. We will then check availability and get back to you ASAP. If the date you chose is not available, we will offer you some alternative dates. We will also confirm the total cost and send you information on how to pay.
3. Follow the link we send you to make your payment. We have found that Wise is the easiest, most reliable and cheapest method of making international payments into Thailand.
4. Once we have received your payment we will send you and e-ticket as confirmation of your booking. All the details you will need will be printed on the ticket, but if you have any questions feel free to ask.
How do I pay?
Making international payments can be tricky and expensive. This is why we recommend using Wise. Unlike PayPal, Wise offers international transfers using the current exchange rates, with no additional mark-ups or hidden fees. The whole process takes just a few minutes. Simply follow these easy steps;
1. Click Here or follow the link we send you to create an account, or log in if you already have one.
2. Select “Send Money”.
3. Select “International” and choose the relivent currencies. (Our tours are priced in THB). All the relivent fees and exchange rates are automatically shown for you. Then click “Continue”
4. On the “Who are you sending Money to?” page, select “Buisness/Charity” and type in our email address. Our information is then filled in for you automatically. If you have any difficulty or require extra information just let us know.
5. Next you will need to fill in your account information.
6. The final step is to approve the payment.
More help can be found HERE.
What if I need to cancel or change my booking?
Please refer to our Terms & Conditions for our full cancelation policy.
You May Also Like…
Phang Nga Discovery & James Bond Island
Visit one of most famous sights in Thailand. Our specially designed James Bond Island tour lets you see the world famous island without the crowds!